Singer of the Year 2022
Entries are now open for this year’s Singer of the Year competition. Singers aged 35 or under are invited to enter our annual competition, which enables finalists to enhance their performing skills in a concert environment.
Heats will be held at Federation Estate Greenwood Avenue, Ringwood (Melway 49 H10) on Friday evening 14th October. If numbers exceed Friday evening, they will continue Saturday afternoon 15th October.
Three finalists will be chosen to perform in the concert with the Melbourne Welsh Male Choir on Saturday afternoon 5th November. The Winner of the Singer of the Year 2022 will be announced at the end of the concert.
Singer of the Year 2021
Melbourne Welsh Male Choir is delighted to announce that Samantha Hargreaves is the winner of the Singer of the Year 2021.
Despite another year of lockdown, we managed to run another successful competition, with almost thirty entrants and once again the talent has been absolutely outstanding.
You can watch interviews and performances of the three Finalists by clicking the video on this page.
The adjudicators were unanimous in their decision, but the two other Finalists were of the highest quality.
Amelia Wawrzon and Michael Dimovski both submitted outstanding performances and if you watch their Finalist interviews you will be inspired by their efforts and goals during what has been a very challenging time for singers in an early stage of their career.
Watch the three Finalists in this video
Watch interviews with the three Finalists of the Singer of the Year Competition 2021. The competition adjudicators Margaret Arnold and David Ashton-Smith provide some insight into the judging process. But most importantly you will see performances from each of the three Finalists.
The video is 30 minutes long, so make yourself a cup of tea and settle back for some high quality entertainment.
The inaugural Singer of the Year Competition was held in 1993 and since then it has become one of Australia’s leading performance competitions. It is one of the few competitions which emphasise performance as a key criteria. Previous winners have gone on to grace the national and international opera and concert stages.
- 2021 – Samantha Hargeaves (Soprano)
- 2020 – Gabrielle Penney (Soprano)
- 2019 – Chloe Harris (Mezzo Soprano)
- 2018 – Stephen Marsh (Baritone)
- 2017 – Bronte Zemlic (Mezzo Soprano)
- 2016 – Kate Amos (Soprano)
- 2015 – Michael Lampard (baritone)
- 2014 – Jeremy Kleeman (bass/baritone)
- 2013 – Stacey Alleaume (Soprano)
- 2012 – Lee Abrahmsen (Soprano)
- 2011 – Siobhan Stagg (Soprano)
- 2010 – Barbara Zavros (Soprano)
- 2009 – Samuel Dundas (Baritone)
- 2008 – Jacqueline Porter (Soprano)
- 2007 – Adrian Tamburini (Baritone)
- 2006 – Suzanne Shakespeare (Coloratura-Soprano)
- 2005 – Lauren Oldham (Soprano)
- 2004 – Mark Fowler (Tenor)
- 2003 – Lisa Anne Robinson (Soprano)
- 2002 – Michelle Cook (Soprano)
- 2001 – Amanda Forbes (Soprano)
- 2000 – John Bode (Tenor)
- 1999 – Alexandra Sherman (Mezzo-Soprano)
- 1998 – Leslie Martin (Soprano)